Pirahnafinders

Posted: May 31, 2011 in Tau, Warhammer 40k
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Well, those two pictures will show you what I’ve been working on for the last little while. Although I will inform you that the angle of the piranha is manipulated. If you saw it from the other side you’d see up under the shoulder pads at some still clearly green greenstuf. >.> You see, partway through assembly of the piranha I ran out of my Citadel Plastic glue. Having not purchased a backup yet, nor found a viable replacement in local shops… I was tasked with either using greenstuff, super glue, plastic model cement, or simply leaving it half assembled. I attempted to make do with what I had but even now the wings are a bit bendy. I’ve already managed to break one of them off and had to reattach it. At the same time I also discovered how crappy the plastic in the flight stands is. >.<; Hopefully I also learned ‘don’t glue things to flight stands’ I glued my defcoptaz, but then didn’t glue my first six gun drones. So then why did I think it a good idea to glue the piranha and shield drone?

The piranha was a little broken when I received it but it was simply a corner on the narrow end of one of the engines. I’ve repaired it with greenstuff as best I could and it still looks a bit dented but it’s significantly better than it was. The paint job is also clearly not done. The engines will be either blacked or a very dark grey. Another coat of the kommando khaki all around and then I can start focusing on lenses and the stuff in the cockpit, eventually the pilots themselves.

The Pathfinders well they’re kind of meh.They’re my first ‘all metal’ miniatures and I have to say I’m not particularly fond of the metal minis, which works out since they’ve apparently just switched over to resin… although I think the Tau only get the sniper drone team done in “Finecast” but I could be wrong as I’m going on third oor forth hand information here. Still, the metal is difficult to work with, most of my antennae were bent and I’m wary about rebending them as I don’t want to break them. I also had trouble with a couple of them not fitting into the slotta bases simply due to GW slapping their name and stuff onto the tab. I had to file that off to get them to fit. >.<; although the files have been great to work with now that I have them.

Oh and yes, that’s one blister pack of Pathfinders and then a Pathfinder Shas’ui.

Of course until I get myself a Devilfish I can’t use the Pathfinders so they weren’t exactly a well thought out purchase. :p

My next purchase is planned for three months from now. It’s looking to be a bit on the expensive side as I’ll be getting myself a Tau Battleforce. It’ll net me another XV8 and a Devilfish as well as another batch of Fire Warriors and then some Kroot and XV25’s. I almost forgot that a Markerlight Drone is also part of the Battleforce. I intend to, in the least, own one of every Tau miniature. Regardless of wether or not I ever plan to use them. Simply for the hobby aspect of things. Well and I’ll also be ordering some Plastic Glue. :p

The reason for the “three months” is that miniwargaming.com(where, might I add, I use the username Vault) has started a weight loss challenge. My goal being to lose thirty pounds within three months from the 25th. The battle force purchase will be a sort of reward for me reaching my goal. Or quite possibly a consolation price to take my mind off failure. ;p Well, that and it’ll take me about that long to be able to afford it on my current budget. :p Works out pretty well because Canada Post has up and decided to go on strike, meaning that, for the time being, our postal system is going to be even worse than normal. Which is terrifying and yet at the same time comforting; because as bad as they are, they could be worse. :s

Advertisements
Comments
  1. Tejech says:

    First of all; good to see that you’re getting it on with the paint! I think you’ve got a solid colour scheme there, looking forward to more details. Are you planning for some sort of wash or glaze for the Pathfinders?

    Metal models…yes…they certainly have their flaws. I wouldn’t be too reluctant to bend the antennas into place, as long as you’re careful. They shouldn’t break unless you start bending them back and forth repeatedly. You be the judge of it. 🙂

    Yes, do get some plastic glue, and good luck with the challenge!

  2. UTK says:

    Well I’ve gotten some plastic glue finally and I’m plotting to acquire myself a Battleforce set so I can actually field those Pathfinders. :p They will be getting a wash. The light colour material is Kommando Khaki and I put a layer of Devlan Mud over that… once I get it so the base colour isn’t seeping through. I’ve ground to a halt with painting as someone mentioned I should probably be thinning my paints. So with that Battleforce I’ll be trying out Reaper’s Flow Improver.

    I don’t know whether to be hesitant or happy that GW switched over to resin. It should mean less abused miniatures. But I don’t know what it means for the conversion world. Then again it shouldn’t affect me much since Tau are probably pretty low on the Finecast roster.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s