Posts Tagged ‘conversion’

An update.

Posted: March 9, 2012 in Uncategorized
Tags: , , , ,

Well, I actually used Kroot, which was not something I ever planned to do. But as I have barely over 1500 points of Tau if I use *everything* I have exceptions have to be made. They have actually proved if only for getting in the way of bigger, scarier, units. I’ve taken to driving up to the nearest Gaming Shop once or twice a month to play and I’ve been having a lot of fun. Last weekend saw a ‘3000 a side 2 vs 2 match’ pitting Tau and Ward’crons of all things against a pair of Ork armies. This is after a visit where I got beat by said Necrons and the time after that where I got beaten by Ultrasmurfs, a game that I almost drew… but some Assault Terminators drew my last scoring unit off of an objective and so I lost. That’s not what we’re talking about today though.

The, probably, most interesting portion of this match was that one of the Ork players was using a homebrew variant on Stormboyz, using the idea of “looted teleporter packs” Roll 3d6 and a scatter die… you get the idea. He’s planning to scrap the rules at the moment and use them as regular Stormboyz. Personally I love the idea of a unit that just randomly transports itself around a battlefield… it seems so very, very Orky. Perhaps give them six inch move and then only roll 2d6, giving you at least *some* control over where the troop is going? Oh well… The group has praised my Broadside conversion, and I got a few thumbs up for being one of those types who reposes the arms of my Crisis Suits. But hey that’s boring battle stuff, the two or three of you who wander in here occasionally (on purpose) are probably more interested in projects. Well I have four on the go right now!

1. A Crisis suit with a ‘twin linked missile pod’ that is firing missiles and is stomping on an Ultramarine (which will be painted to mimic the Ultramarine players painting style as best I can) who just so happens to be making use of one of the Grenade arms. It has a few ‘issues’ mainly when posing I neither had, nor had room for the marines legs on the base… so they’re not modelled. Also these firing missiles is a bit more difficult than I’d anticipated.

Image

This image is a little bit outdated but for the most part it’s not changed. I attempted to add green stuff smoke effects to those chunks of paperclip… and was unimpressed, currently thinking about using some cotton and drybrushing it to simulate the smoke. I’ve repaired that knee joint by taking the bottom bit off of a Tau shoulder guard and gluing it in there.

2. I’m working on a terrain board. Currently I only have a 4×4 foot section, this section is cut into four 2×2 foot pieces. I’m aiming to make it 6×6 by… adding two more pieces. Four of those pieces will feature some form of hills and then I can have a whole bunch of options available for how I put them together. Modular just seemed the best way to go considering my space and storage options. Right now my table can only deal with (barely) the 4×4 foot board. No picture of that because honestly right now it’s just four things of foam board.

3. Another Crisis Suit! This one right now is just a crisis suit with a “customized” fusion blaster and an Airbursting Fragmentation Projector. I mounted the Fusion Blaster to the underside of one hand, sideways. (the barrels are oo instead of 8) I then cut the fuel cell off and glued it to where that little mounting tab would have been on the underside. I have no picture yet because it’s really nothing special yet. I’m planning on equipping it with Iridium Armour, I’m just not quite sure of how to model that yet. Possibly I might get an Ironclad or Venerable Dreadnought kit and use some of it’s bitz. But then I have a Dreadnought sitting around that I don’t want to assemble until my sister gets her Assault on Blackreach and we swap Orks for Marines and I can kit bash the Dreadnoughts.

4. Magnetizing the Skyray portion of my Hammerhead/Skyray… no picture because again, nothing really interesting. I’ve just run into difficulties getting the missiles to affix themselves nicely to the underside of their mounting wing thing.But this might be due to me using chunks of paperclip for the missiles to stick to; I’m not sure yet.

5. I know I only said four but I kind of forgot about this until now. I’ve put together some not particularly interesting ‘converted marines’ to round out the Gue’vesa Squad. Which brings it up to eleven units. So I’ll repaint my Gue’vesa’ui into a Gue’vesa’la and add in a regular Tau for the Shas’ui. Fairly unimportant at the moment since I don’t use the Imperial Armour rules for them I just field them as kit bashed Firewarriors, which really is all they are.